An after-hours celebration of Canadian craft, design, and ingenuity.
Join us for ‘ROM After Dark: DesignTO’, where we’re celebrating the launch of the 13th annual DesignTO Festival and Canadian Modern, ROM’s new original exhibition spanning more than 80 years of fashion, furniture, jewellery, and electronics. Plus, there will be great food, rousing DJ sets, large-scale projections, interactive design-based activities —and a whole lot more.
ROM After Dark is the popular monthly adult (19+) event series that features curated music, visual arts, performances, and distinctive food and drink.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Event Time: 7:30 PM – 11:30 PM (last entry: 10:30 PM)
- Entry Price: $30 Adults, $27 ROM Members (taxes in)
- Tickets must be purchased in advance. Tickets will not be available at the door.
- Ticket includes free coat check
- This is a 19+ event (Visitors will be asked for valid photo government ID upon arrival. Digital copies will not be permitted)
- Food and Beverage: Delicious, theme-inspired food and beverage will be available for sale ($8 per item)
- JER, a one-woman cyclone of psychedelia, dub, and afrobeat bound to bring you to the dance floor
- Hangaëlle, a fiery Toronto DJ who opened for Erykah Badu and played the legendary Boiler Room series
- The Robot Orchestra by Danny Shaddick, an array of acoustic instruments—all played by machines
- Sudeep K, a true mix master who’s opened for everyone from the Chemical Brothers to MGMT
- Nat Beja Trio, a pint-sized ensemble playing golden-era jazz and Latin songs inspired by Nat Beja’s childhood in Mexico
- Beny Esguerra and New Tradition Music, fusing beatboxing, turntablism, Bronx-style 70s salsa, and more! They make socially conscious songs to bop to
- Fresh Water Pipeline, a video installation about the absurdity of a market-based solution to climate change
Also, don’t miss The DesignTO Lounge, a fun spot full of unique projections and glow in the dark furniture.
‘ROM After Dark: DesignTO’ is organized by the ROM in partnership with DesignTO and supported by Kirkor. ROM After Dark supported by Asahi.
DesignTO brings people together to design a better future, one that is more sustainable, just, and joyful. We curate exhibitions, presentations and educational programming to increase the public’s knowledge and appreciation of design, and hope to embolden all Canadians to participate in making a future where people and planet are thriving again.