Divining (A Long Story V) is a new evolution of Lauren A. Pirie’s ‘A Long Story’ series of illuminated soft-sculptural installations; long, soft arm forms wrapping around and embracing each other and the environments they inhabit. Looking to ecology and mysticism, science and fiction, this series explores our yearning for connection—even in the face of rising anxieties and temperatures—and at the same time, possibility in a new dawn. The DesignTO 2023 rendition intertwines around the existing column structures of 40 St. Clair West, interacting with plant life below.
‘Divining’ draws reference to the ancient process of locating ground water using a divining or dowsing rod and connotes natural or supernatural intuition. ‘Divining (A Long Story V)’ considers our inherent interconnection and thirst for communion to the more-than-human-natural world; how we do and may seek these connections from within urban environments.
DesignTO x Yonge + St. Clair
‘Divining (A Long Story V)’ is one of 6 projects in the Yonge + St. Clair BIA, a dynamic neighbourhood in midtown Toronto. During the DesignTO Festival, you are invited to explore the area while checking out the large-scale installations.
- Northern Radiance by Asli Alin at the 2 St. Clair Avenue East
- Weaving the Light by D.A.R. Proyectos at 2 St. Clair Avenue West
- ILLUMINESCENT by by Gensler at 30 St. Clair Avenue West
- Divining (A Long Story V) by Lauren Pirie at 40 St. Clair Avenue West
- Things I Find Unimaginable by Jordan Sook at 55 St. Clair Avenue West
- void by Guillermo Juarez at 95 St. Clair Avenue West
On Saturday, January 28, join us for ‘DesignTO Tours: Stop. Look. Think.‘ featuring Asli Alin, D.A.R. Proyectos, and Lauren Pirie.