Spotlighting designers from Canada and the UK, DesignTO in partnership with University of the Arts London (UAL) and OCAD University presents a new online series in 2021 called ‘In Conversation’. As the title suggests, faculty, students and alumni from UAL and OCAD will be in conversation with each other and industry experts to discuss contemporary issues, research and creation in design.
The ongoing collaboration between UAL and OCAD comes out of dialogue between the two universities, working on common areas of interest such as decolonization and sustainability. Joining UAL and OCAD to present ‘In Conversation’, DesignTO is a Toronto-based non-profit arts organization that produces Canada’s leading and largest annual design festival, showcasing multidisciplinary ways of making and thinking.
Series speakers include:
- Dr Danah Abdulla (Programme Director, Graphic Design at Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Colleges of Arts, UAL; Creative Director and Editor of Kalimat Magazine)
- Dr Nabil El-Nayal (Founder, Nabil Nayal; Course Leader, MA Fashion Design Technology: Womenswear, London College of Fashion, UAL)
- Bridget Harvey (Interdisciplinary maker; Acting Course Leader for MA Designer Maker, Camberwell College of Arts, UAL)
- Victoria Kamila (3-D Artist; BA Journalism, London College of Communication, UAL)
- Michael Lee Poy (Artist-activist and architect; Assistant Professor, Faculty of Design, OCAD U)
- Maya Mahgoub-Desai (Associate Professor and Chair, Environmental Design, OCAD U)
- Will Selviz (Student, Bachelor of Design in Digital Futures, OCAD U)
- Philip Sparks (Founder, Philip Sparks; Master of Design, OCAD U; Professor, School of Fashion, Seneca College)
- Jordan Söderberg Mills (Interdisciplinary artist, MA Design, Central Saint Martins, UAL)
- Monica Virtue (Researcher and filmmaker, Master of Design in Digital Futures, OCAD U)
- Georgina Voss (Co-founder and lead of Supra Systems Studio; Associate Professor, Design School, London College of Communication, UAL)
Talk schedule and additional speakers to be announced.
- March 19, 2021 |12pm EDT: Dr Danah Abdulla and Maya Mahgoub-Desai.
- April 13, 2021 | 12pm EDT: Nabil El-Nayal and Philip Sparks
- May 18, 2021 | 5pm EDT: Victoria Kamila and Will Selviz