- drain (someone) of their physical or mental resources; tire out.
- use up (resources or reserves) completely.
- waste gases or air expelled from an engine, turbine, or other machine in the course of its operation.
The conception that value is measured by productivity has created a culture of overworking, overproduction and over-extraction of rapidly diminishing natural resources. This artwork seeks to challenge these ideas through a multi-media, experimental process to determine what is produced when the physical and mental capacities have been exhausted. Inherent to the nature of production, waste is not only a by-product of creation, but the eventual state of all creations. In trying to investigate this intersection between creation and destruction, this installation will incorporate these concepts into its production.
‘exhaust’ is an art installation exploring the idea of exhaustion through visuals, materiality and process. The work conceptualizes emotional burnout while representing resource depletion by using solely discarded and reclaimed materials.
The installation can be viewed 24/7 from outdoors and work can be viewed inside the venue during business hours: 7am-midnight daily.
DesignTO in the Trinity Bellwoods BIA
‘exhaust’ is one of 10 projects in the Trinity Bellwoods BIA, a vibrant neighbourhood running along Dundas Street West between Bathurst Street and Trinity Bellwoods Park. During the DesignTO Festival, you are are invited to walk Dundas Street West as a gallery, exploring the neighbourhood and seeing work from artists and designers in businesses’ storefronts and windows.
- Unseen Interiors by Angela Cho at Milky’s
- excerpts from the little table project by John Booth at bookhou
- exhaust by Marcelline Siu at Dirty Laundry
- Experimental Collage – Series 3 by Warren Steven Scott at Comrags
- What Was, Now Is by Hilary Arellano & Holly Chang at Capri Shoes
- Eating Cherries, Braiding Hair by Elena Mahno at Sovereign State
- Language Structures by Paul Aloisi at Worth Gallery
- Cafe Curtains by Jennifer Coghill at Hamers Coffee
- Nọrọ: Sit & Stay by Chuma Asuzu at Saving Grace
- The Bar Stool by Salva Modarres at Northern Belle
On Sunday, January 29, join DesignTO for ‘The Lifecycle of Objects‘ featuring Angela Cho, Hilary Arellano and Marcelline Siu at the Trinity Community Recreation Centre.