When Warren geared up to create his third artwork series, he had the opportunity to really hone in on his formal choices. Following several months of rigorous studio production and working in lieu of upcoming deadlines, Scott has returned to present a new body of artworks – his third in the series. These limited series of artworks, made from leftover acrylic sheet materials from his earring production, explore ideas surrounding the duality of tradition and modernity. This ongoing series of experimental, two-dimensional abstract collages continue Scott’s formal explorations of colour, shape, and positive and negative space. Rooted in ideas relating to recycling and waste, layers of colourful remnant scraps are stacked and transformed into energetic formal studies that reveal unexpected visual moments. Excitingly, he has added a few larger-scale works to the family, which reveal new spatial intricacies. Custom-framed in natural walnut and titled after their respective colour codes, these unique pieces offer a glimpse into the designer’s working methodology.
DesignTO in the Trinity Bellwoods BIA
‘Experimental Collage – Series 3’ is one of 10 projects in the Trinity Bellwoods BIA, a vibrant neighbourhood running along Dundas Street West between Bathurst Street and Trinity Bellwoods Park. During the DesignTO Festival, you are are invited to walk Dundas Street West as a gallery, exploring the neighbourhood and seeing work from artists and designers in businesses’ storefronts and windows.
- Unseen Interiors by Angela Cho at Milky’s
- excerpts from the little table project by John Booth at bookhou
- exhaust by Marcelline Siu at Dirty Laundry
- Experimental Collage – Series 3 by Warren Steven Scott at Comrags
- What Was, Now Is by Hilary Arellano & Holly Chang at Capri Shoes
- Eating Cherries, Braiding Hair by Elena Mahno at Sovereign State
- Language Structures by Paul Aloisi at Worth Gallery
- Cafe Curtains by Jennifer Coghill at Hamers Coffee
- Nọrọ: Sit & Stay by Chuma Asuzu at Saving Grace
- The Bar Stool by Salva Modarres at Northern Belle
On Sunday, January 29, join DesignTO for ‘The Lifecycle of Objects‘ featuring Angela Cho, Hilary Arellano and Marcelline Siu at the Trinity Community Recreation Centre.